As salam walakum, Good Morning, Evening, Afternoon!
Thank you so much for joining me on my tiny MB of the net. How are you? (comment bellow) I am hoping, and your heal is doing well…
Today’s topic is Biotin or B7.
What is Biotin? It’s also called B7, Vitamin H. It’s a part of the B vitamins. It is absorbed in the small intestines. It’s a water-soluble vitamin that absorbs what it needs and removes the rest through our urine.
Remember to check out our other B vitamin series posts.
What does Biotin do?
Biotin helps turn fats, carbs, and proteins into the energy that we need.
What are the Benefits of B7 (Vitamin H)
- -Helps the functionality of the nervous system
- Helps with liver function (metabolism)
- Helps with the function of mucous membranes
- Can nourish hair follicles
- Supporting tissue of hair to help with thinning or breaking
- May nail health B7 helps with keratin production
- May help and assist in the progression of MS
What are the Signs of Deficiency of B7?
- Periorificial dermatitis (a red rash that circles your mouth, eyes, and nose. Your skin can be scaly, dry, and flaky with swollen, inflamed bumps called papules)
- Could develop conjunctivitis and skin infections.
- Neurological systems
- Numbness/tingling of extremities
- Mental retardation and developmental delay in children
- May show depression
- Lethargic (tiredness)
- Maybe even hallucinations
- Sensorineural hearing loss, if not treated
- The impaired immune system, making it easy to infections, e.g., Candida
- Dry skin
- Lesions (on feet and legs. After six months of deficiency)
**If you think that you may be deficient**. Visit your doctor or practitioner and ask them to check your B7 levels. Before taking supplements**
How much B-7 Should we have?
What happens if you take too much B7?
(because its water soluble, there is not much evidence of toxicity, but)
- Excessive thirst
- a lot of urination
Interactions with medications?
- Anticonvulsant Medications- can reduce the biotin stores.
- Valproic acid can cause deficiency.
**talk to your doctor if you are taking**
Reasons for not absorbing B7
- Taking antibiotics for a long time
- Celiac Disease
- Rare inherited disorder -Biotinidase Deficiency
- Alcohol use
- Drug use
- Strict eating
What fruit are high in B7?
Veggies High in B7?
- Sweet Potatoes
Meat high in B7
- egg yolks
- Nuts & beans
- sunflower seeds
- roasted almonds
What is your favorite food that is high in B7? (leave a comment below) I love cheese! *lol* I could eat cheese all day long
To supplement or not?
In general, unless you have a blood test from your doctor or practitioner or are not having any ailments that stop you from absorbing B7. A whole high-nutrient diet should be enough. With that said, there may be people that need supplements.
Personally, I love “The Garden of life” product line. They have a whole-food vitamin line. This link is their B complex. https://amzn.to/3SDdSyA
But it has a probiotic …
If you want just B7 Whole-food vitamin to, check out: Peak performance whole food B7. Its made out of holy basil https://amzn.to/3zpiK3r
If you prefer or have had weight loss surgery (gastric bypass), liquid may be better for you. It can be fast absorbing. Mary Ruth’s is another whole food vitamin. Organic, vegan, https://amzn.to/3DFAGJK
Well, Thats all for today!
I would love to know how you feel about this post today..