In the meantime, lets us talk about some more holistic nutrition. Today is Vitamin C. I am sure we have all heard about Vitamin c and bits and bobs of what it can do… but let us take a moment to break it down.
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C or L-ascorbic acid is water soluble. So your body takes what it needs and “leaves the rest” through your urine.
What does Vitamin C do in the body?
- It helps protect cells and keeps them healthy.
- Maintain Healthy skin
- Powerful antioxidant which could protect you from sickness.
- It may relieve lower blood pressure.
- May strengthen your heart.
- It may reduce Uric acid.
- It helps with the absorption of iron.
- It helps to produce collagen (Which is essential for connective tissue.)
- Helps to produce L-Creatin
- It helps to produce some neurotransmitters.
- Enhances wound healing
- Lowers the risk of some cancers
How much should we have?
I found a nifty graft from the NIH.
Daily Recommended allowance for Vitamin C
What are the signs of deficiency?
- Bumpy skin (keratosis pilaris)
- Bumpy “chicken skin” happens on the back of the upper arms, thighs, or buttocks due to a buildup of keratin protein inside the pore.
- Corkscrewed curly body hair. (due to the protein not having enough vitamin c)
- Spoon shape nails with red spots
- Dry skin
- easy bruised
- swollen joints
- slow healing
- bleeding gums
- Scurvy- (Scurvy causes general weakness, anemia, gum disease, and skin hemorrhages.) Scurvy has been around since the 1500 hundreds.
Why or how can you become deficient?
- People with celiac.
- People with Crohn’s
- People (Which is not done anymore.) that have had a jejunal bypass
- Not a nutrient-dense diet. (with fruits and vegetables)
- Illness anorexia
- Mental health -Depression (not eating or not eating well)
- Older age. Due to absorption, there may be a lack of family support to ensure they eat well.
- Drinking and Drug use
- Smokers (these chemicals can inhibit the absorption of vitamins)
Medications that interact inhibit absorption.
- Aluminum (could increase absorption of the aluminum)
- Chemotherapy ( might reduce the effect of chemotherapy drugs)
- But also vitamin C has been shown to help with cancer too.
- Estrogen (oral contraceptives or hormone replacement may increase your estrogen levels.)
- protease inhibitors (oral use of vitamin c may reduce the effects of antivirals)
- warfarin (Jantoven) High doses of Vitamin C may reduce response to the Anticoagulant)
- Acetaminophen (high doses of Vit C may cause acetaminophen in your blood to rise)
- Barbiturates- may lower the effect of vitamin C
Where to find Vitamin C?
- Citrus fruit (lemons, oranges, Grapefruit, ect)
- Kakadu plums
- Acerola Cherries
- Rose hips
Vegetables that are high in Vitamin c?
- Chili peppers
- Brussels sprouts
- Mustard spinach
Copyright © [ElderberryHolisticHelath]