As salam walakum, Good Morning, Evening, Afternoon!
Thank you so much for joining me on my tiny MB of the net. How are you? (comment bellow) I am hoping, and your heal is doing well…
Today’s topic is Biotin or B7.
What is Biotin? It’s also called B7, Vitamin H. It’s a part of the B vitamins. It is absorbed in the small intestines. It’s a water-soluble vitamin that absorbs what it needs and removes the rest through our urine.
Remember to check out our other B vitamin series posts.
What does Biotin do?
Biotin helps turn fats, carbs, and proteins into the energy that we need.
What are the Benefits of B7 (Vitamin H)
- -Helps the functionality of the nervous system
- Helps with liver function (metabolism)
- Helps with the function of mucous membranes
- Can nourish hair follicles
- Supporting tissue of hair to help with thinning or breaking
- May nail health B7 helps with keratin production
- May help and assist in the progression of MS
What are the Signs of Deficiency of B7?
- Periorificial dermatitis (a red rash that circles your mouth, eyes, and nose. Your skin can be scaly, dry, and flaky with swollen, inflamed bumps called papules)
- Could develop conjunctivitis and skin infections.
- Neurological systems
- Numbness/tingling of extremities
- Mental retardation and developmental delay in children
- May show depression
- Lethargic (tiredness)
- Maybe even hallucinations
- Sensorineural hearing loss, if not treated
- The impaired immune system, making it easy to infections, e.g., Candida
- Dry skin
- Lesions (on feet and legs. After six months of deficiency)
**If you think that you may be deficient**. Visit your doctor or practitioner and ask them to check your B7 levels. Before taking supplements**
How much B-7 Should we have?
What happens if you take too much B7?
(because its water soluble, there is not much evidence of toxicity, but)
- Excessive thirst
- a lot of urination
Interactions with medications?
- Anticonvulsant Medications- can reduce the biotin stores.
- Valproic acid can cause deficiency.
**talk to your doctor if you are taking**
Reasons for not absorbing B7
- Taking antibiotics for a long time
- Celiac Disease
- Rare inherited disorder -Biotinidase Deficiency
- Alcohol use
- Drug use
- Strict eating
What fruit are high in B7?
Veggies High in B7?
- Sweet Potatoes
Meat high in B7
- egg yolks
- Nuts & beans
- sunflower seeds
- roasted almonds
What is your favorite food that is high in B7? (leave a comment below) I love cheese! *lol* I could eat cheese all day long
To supplement or not?
In general, unless you have a blood test from your doctor or practitioner or are not having any ailments that stop you from absorbing B7. A whole high-nutrient diet should be enough. With that said, there may be people that need supplements.
Well, Thats all for today!